Probably never heard that, right? If so, you're not alone. Zinc is not talked about among the mainstream medical community, and few people are aware of its numerous benefits.
So, we've highlighted the top reasons why you should incorporate zinc in your everyday skincare routine if you're looking for ways to combat acne. Whether you're a teenager with frequent breakouts or an adult with occasional flare-ups, consider adding zinc to your diet for its myriad of healthful benefits.
Top 8 Reasons Why You Need Zinc:
* Provides a variety of critical functions in the body, many of which are directly related to healthy skin.
* Builds the integrity of the skin by promoting wound-healing & fighting infection.
* Balances hormones.It's needed for estrogen & progesterone production in women; balances testosterone in men. is this correct?
* Balances insulin which is involved in regulating normal blood sugar.
* Controls acne inflammation by reducing levels of NF-kB which is involved in releasing many pro-inflammatory cytokines in the body. Quick definition of cytokines.
* Key component in transporting vitamin A which directly decreases the activity of sebaceous glands, and zinc is vital for it to be used effectively. - reword
* Vital for the formation of cells in the skin, hair & nails.
Here are some fascinating results from clinical studies which validate the importance of zinc and its function in healing acne. There are numerous studies found online as well.
One study gave 54 patients either a zinc supplement or a placebo. The amount of acne in the zinc group had decreased by 33%. Source of stats?
Another study of 332 acne patients were given 30mg of a zinc supplement. After three months, the total pimple count had fallen by 49%. They also observed over two-thirds reduction in overall acne in 31.2% of the participants. Source?
Zinc is also helpful when applied directly onto the skin yet serves even greater value for acne sufferers when taken orally. The daily recommended dose is 15mg, however 30mg is also viable. Many of the studies dosed patients on 45 to 60mg daily.
Some people experience greater benefit when dosed at levels of 45mg a day. Our suggestion is to start at 30mg while eating a healthy diet rich in zinc and continue 40 to 45mg